Villa Maria and Villa Margherita are surrounded by beautiful natural parks with views on Lake Como.
Villa Maria is situated in a beautiful park that from the road Statale arrives at the center of the village of Griante.
The villa is characterized by a central building with loggias with three arches. It was built between 1889 and 1892 by Martin Clerc, designed by Giacomo Mantegazza from Menaggio. It was completed by an heir, Josephine May.
In its iron and glass greenhouse, it was filmed the advertising of “Amaro Averna” in the 90s.
Villa Margherita was built in the middle of nineteenth century by Ricordi family, famous music publishers in Milan.
It hosted Giuseppe Verdi, who composed part of “La Traviata”.
Villa Margherita is recognizable by a clock and two sculptures places on the cornice. The semicircular room overlooking the garden full of rare plants, azaleas, rhododendrons and roses, was once dedicated to small concerts.
Amilcare Ponchielli in the Villa Cadenabbia began the creation of his work “The Lithuanians” which had great success at “La Scala” in Milan in 1874.
Another guest of Villa Ricordi was the founder of the St. Petersburg Conservatory, Anton Rubinstein composer and conductor.