It was in 1884 that the old railway line Menaggio-Porlezza began to work.
The railroad was born on the initiative of the “Banca della Svizzera Italiana” based in Lugano.
It was formed a corporation called “Navigation and the Railways for Lake Lugano” .
The program of the corporation was the construction of the railroad, economic, Ponte Tresa-Luino and Menaggio-Porlezza.
The old railway was then called the “Railway of the three Lakes” : Lake Maggiore, Lake Lugano, Lake Como.
To the line of the old railway Menaggio-Porlezza were assigned six steam locomotives built in Stuttgart in Germany.
The Carriages instead came out of St. Elena Officine in Venice.
The “Masninn”, as it was affectionately called the train, was used by the travelers of the area for work tranfers from Lake Como, Val Rezzo, Val Cavargna to Lake Lugano. It is also used by tourists who traveled from Lake Lugano to Lake Como by boat and rail.
The old railway line Menaggio-Porlezza: the path runs for about 12 km starting from Menaggio at the petrol station, in front of Grand Hotel Menaggio.
The railroad headed south, towards Griante then returned back (thanks to maneuver called regression) and continued northward.
The railway line was built on the slopes of Monte Crocetta, it is forwarded in Val Sanagra to climb up to Grandola e Uniti.
From here it went towards Porlezza along Lake Piano, crossing two bridges and coming up on the shores of Lake Lugano.
There was the terminus of Porlezza near the Navigazione landing stage.